Representing structured trees and lists in Rev (was expert system toolkits?)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue Oct 8 15:49:01 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, October 8, 2002, at 12:28 AM, Alex Rice wrote:

> Does anyone know of an expert system toolkit in xcard/revolution for
> Expert Systems? I am thinking of something along the lines of a toolkit
> like CLIPS (C) or JESS (Java).

I am not familiar with CLIPS or JESS.  And it has been a long, long time
since I have worked with expert systems.  Yet, I have and I have built some
and some more general theorem provers.  However, all of those have been in
a Lisp environment.  With that prejudice, this comes to mind...

Something like that (done the way I have done it in the past) would need
some rich method representing information.  That brings up something I have
been wondering about.  Is there a library or style example for representing
recursive types in Revolution (perhaps type tagged)?  That is, something
that can represent something as general as a lisp-like list?

I have considered using some arrays as an environment of references.  I
have considered mixing in some binary into strings to create a simple way
to add structure.  I have even considered text strings that are parsed
every time.

Has anybody had to address this?  Any ideas?

Dar Scott