Trying to make Outlook-like buttons

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 07:35:01 EDT 2002

Hi all,

I've been trying to make Outlook-like buttons, where
clicking on a button makes it do its default action,
but holding the mouse down displays a popup-menu to
choose from pre-defined actions.

Unfortunately, none of my attempts (on MacOS) seem to
work, as all menu-buttons display the menu right away,
and there's no way of setting up a delay there.

I also tried putting a narrow cascade menu over a
regular button (so you have a nice triangle on the
right), and set the regular button's script to
  on mouseStillDown
    send "mouseDown" to btn "cascader"
  end mouseStillDown
But the menu refuses to display, even though the
mouseDown message _is_ sent.

Does anyone have an idea, short of mimicking the
popup-menu using a field ?
Thanks in advance,

Jan Schenkel.

"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish
at the same time."  (La Rochefoucauld)