Launch Not work on OSX/OSX Rotate image trick

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Nov 29 20:17:01 EST 2002

I copied this to the improve list as it appears we have a bug or a
needed feature. It could be an Adobe problem also...

See below. OSX 10.2.2

I. Failure to see inside package.

I tested the following:

answer file "Search for an application that is a package"
put it

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop 7/Adobe Photoshop 7.0/

is returned.

indicating a failure to "see" inside the package... it is not possible
from inside the dialog box to cntrl-select a file inside a package.
Leaving it as a directory, one cannot use the path to launch a file.

launch "some.jpg" with "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop 7/Adobe Photoshop
7.0/"

will not work.

2. Doing as Ken says.  control clicked on the package. The actual
application file appears, ais the same name, appending this to the path
one gets:

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop 7/Adobe Photoshop 7.0/Adobe Photoshop 7.0

launch "some.jpg" with "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop 7/Adobe Photoshop
7.0/Adobe Photoshop 7.0"

YES! this does work. Subsequent attempts to open a file with Photoshop
already open do not work (as documented) will have to use applescript.

3.
Close process  "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop 7/Adobe Photoshop
7.0/Adobe Photoshop 7.0"

Does nothing if Photoshop is open. Openprocesses still returns path to
PS.

4. kill process  "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop 7/Adobe Photoshop
7.0/Adobe Photoshop 7.0"  returns "Process did not die" if Photoshop is
still open.

5. Quit Photoshop:

--Openprocesses() still returns the path.
--Close process  doesn't do anything. Launch command will not work even
though Photoshop has been quit.

--Kill process "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop 7/Adobe Photoshop
7.0/Adobe Photoshop 7.0" returns "Process did not die"

BUT! after running the kill process on the application that was already
quit... the Launch command does in fact boot Photoshop now... even
though the kill command didn't think it had killed the process.

??? Some engine anomalies there... but

Solutions: on OSX if helper app is open, use applescript to launch the
file.
If the helper app was previously opened by Rev, but subsequently quit
then
use a kill command before trying to use it again in the same session.

global gCurrentFolder
on menuPick which
   switch which
   case "Photoshop"
     put (fld "PhotoshopLoc" of stack "prefs") into tAppPath
     kill process tAppPath
     break
case "ImageReady"
     put (fld "ImageReadyLoc" of stack "prefs") into tAppPath
     kill process tAppPath
   break
   case "Illustrator"
     put (fld "IllustratorLoc" of stack "prefs") into tAppPath
      kill process tAppPath
  break
   case "BBEdit" ## check on some text file...captions etc.
     put (fld "BBeditLoc" of stack "prefs") into tAppPath
      kill process tAppPath
  break
   end switch
   launch (gCurrentFolder& fld "currentImage") with tAppPath
end menuPick