Bug: Launch Not work on OSX/OSX Rotate image trick

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri Nov 29 00:14:01 EST 2002

Though my license does not expire until January 18, 2003 I was
unsubscribed from the Improve list, so will send bug reports here in
the hope they are not bugs but only what I don't know.

OSX 10.2.2 Rev 1.5

Problems with Launch command:
Bug:
1) Rev will not "forget' that the application is no longer running.

a) set an application path to BBEdit in a preference field.
b) Launch a file using

launch "some/File/path" with "/Applications/BBedit 6.5/BBEdit 6.5

First time (BBedit is not open) the file is opened... as expected.

Quit BBEdit...

use the launch button again.. .this time the file is not launched...
  if I quit Rev and re-boot, it is launched.

Not a bug, but a "how to?"
2) The documentation clearly states that if the application is already
open then "launch" will do nothing... OK, so, then, how does one open a
file in an already running application?  Of course I can use
applescript... but would rather stay in xTalk.

3) this is totally obscure problem with Adobe products... anyone know
about this?

Launch "somepath/some.jpg" with "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop
7.0/Adobe Photoshop 7.0

will not work... and, what is even stranger, if you do

answer file "Find your copy of Photoshop"
put it

and locate the application, Rev returns:

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop 7.0/Adobe Photoshop 7.0/

with a "/" at the end, even though it appears that you are pointing to
the Adobe photoshop file and not a folder??

Almost got my little image manager CPU wrapped up... helper apps are
the last leg for file times  that Rev can't put into an image object.

FYI: here;s a great little script for anyone on OSX handling incoming
photos from digital cameras that need to be rotated... runs great from
Rev.

Put this in your image object, whose image is a file ref.

on mouseUp
   put the filename of me into mySource
   put mySource into tPath
   replace "/" with ":" in tPath
   delete char 1 of tPath
   put fld "appleScript" into tScript
   replace "###sourcePath###" with tPath in tScript
   answer "Rotate" with "90" or "-90" or "Cancel"
   if it is "Cancel" then exit mouseUp
   replace "###angle###" with it in tScript
   do tScript as applescript
set the filename of me to empty ## refresh image
set the filename of me to mySource
end mouseUp

And this in your applescript field:

try
	tell application "Image Capture Scripting"
		set this_image to open file "###sourcePath###"
		rotate this_image to angle "###angle###"
		save this_image in file "###sourcePath###"
	end tell
	return true
on error error_message
	return false
end try

Image Capture Scripting is a scripting addition and this all runs in
the background.

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami

Himalayan Academy Publications
katir at hindu.org