File Open Error: Illegal File Name Character " " in xyz.rev

David Wilkinson dwilk at bradfork.co.uk
Thu Nov 28 07:24:18 EST 2002

Rob

I did a few experiments and it appears that the restriction is more
to do with RevDev under Linux:

1: Rename a standalone to include a space - runs fine from term
window or file browser.  Build a standalone with spaces in name -
Distribution builder replaces them with underscores.

2: Change a stackfilename(.rev) to eliminate space - opens fine. If
I eliminated the Serendipity stack name spaces the stack would open
but your error checking for the existence of the original filenames
meant it then exited gracefully.

3: Try to save or open a mainstack(.rev) with space in filename in
RevDev - produces illegal file name error message.

Conclusion: Main problems with spaces are
1: RevDev - includes some precautionary filtering?(other unices?)
2: Difficult to read in console window especially with long paths!!
(escaped spaces)

And yes this seems to be the case :
> Am I correct that this restriction applies only to the mainstack
> stack file names?  In other words, it's OK to set a stack's name
> or label to "Serendipity Library" so long as the stack resides in
> a file named "Serendipity_Library.rev"?  And by extension, spaces
> are OK in substack names so long as they are not saved externally
> from the mainstack?

But I still don't  use spaces;  but then I still use punched cards.