Background

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Nov 27 17:49:01 EST 2002

> I don't find the Rev 1.1 documentation to be particularly well implemented
> or cross-referenced, unfortunately.  Many times I have "patiently" waded
> through screen after screen and dead end after dead end looking for a nugget
> about topic x that I know I saw a couple days prior, often to no avail.

The difficulty of the "unlearning" process is a common challege when moving
between laguages, perhaps especially compounded with such similar dialects
as HyperTalk and Transcript, close as they are yet so different.

Having made this jouney between a half-dozen or so xTalks, for myself I've
found starting with properties as perhaps the most useful point of entry
into documentation when looking for a way to implement something.
Abstractly, so much of xTalk scripting is setting properties; the range of
properties available to an object will often tell you what you need to solve
a UI issue.

So when I first started learning MetaCard I wrote a property sheet utility,
which (like VB, ToolBook, and others) provides an overview of nearly all
properties for the selected object (or card, or stack, and it lists global
props as well).  It also provides a quick way to edit values:  just
double-click a line and an editor appropriate to the data type opens (color
picker for colors, answer for Booleans, etc.).

I've made this available to a few friends and clients, and just recently did
some more debugging and posted the latest version to my site:

<http://www.fourthworld.com/rev/>

I hope you find it helpful for learning about properties in Rev.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation