Socket Tutorial Guidelines

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 26 11:10:01 EST 2002

--- "Wolfgang M. Bereuter" <wmb at internettrainer.com>
wrote:

> On Dienstag, November 26, 2002, at 04:06  Uhr, Alan
> Gayne wrote:
>
> > Somewhat off topic, does anyone have or know of a
> well detailed, step
> > by step tutorial on how to use RunRev as the front
> end of a Filemaker
> > database?
> >
> > From the references I've seen on the list it would
> seem that this is a
> > fairly widespread technique but I'm yet to find a
> really good > tutorial.
>
> Thats a very interesting idea for me too...
> Is it possible?
> Does it make any sense to build the UI in Rev
> instead directly in FM,
> what seems easier to me...?
> For what kind of solutions could make it sence
> compared to 4D,
> Valentina or mySQL..?
> Can FM do anything what they cant do..?
> Is it easier (cheaper) to publish a FM Database on
> the web and connect
> to it with "Rev client"?
>
> Thanks in advance for some ideas to that...
>
> regards
> Wolfgang M. Bereuter

Hi Alan, Hi Wolfgang,

RunRev 2.0 will have a report generator, so that's
good news and much appreciated.

The main reason why I'd use RunRev UI on top of
FileMaker database is that:
1) FM doesn't have a complete scripting language, so
if you need to make a lot of complicated convoluted
changes, it can get hairy.
2) FM datafiles are prone to data loss because it's
too easy to go into a field and change something --
it's hard to make good interfaces that prevent this,
as you can't lock/unlock fields and have to maintain
two separate layouts.

If you're only using FileMaker as a back-end database,
you might as well take a look at Valentina ; from the
comments I've heard so far, it seems sturdy and fast.
However, FileMaker has a Web Companion which means you
don't have to use the cgi-version of RunRev to display
data from the database.
Plus, given the addition of XML to FileMaker Pro 6 and
to RunRev 2.0, we could see some interesting synergies
there.

Just a few thoughts,

Jan Schenkel.

=====