Http or https

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Nov 22 19:28:01 EST 2002

I got a question for all of you https users.... Exactly what do you want it
for? Please cite some examples. IOW, would it be better to have an encrypt
tool instead? There seem to be lots of workarounds for a *mostly* secure
solution using RR/MC. (md5digest with base64encode offset by your
birthdate;-)

My understanding of one of the basics of public/private key encryption is
that the client 'browser' side doesn't need to know the challenge phrase.
But, if you're building the client (RR or MC) then it's easy to embed the
challenge phrase. Now, I'm not so sure you can build international banking
applications this way, but surely you can do a 99% protection.

I guess I'd like to better understand a 'case' where I couldn't solve the
problem in RR/MC.

Next question... how much would everyone be willing to pay for an https
external?

$0
$1000

somewhere in-between?