Valentina and OS-X (Darwin) revisited...

gsaylor at net-virtual.com gsaylor at net-virtual.com
Wed Nov 20 15:55:01 EST 2002

>Unfortunately you're way off in the weeds here: not only have you not
>specified where that DLL is to be loaded (hint, you need to "start
>using" a stack to use an external in a console app), but the Darwin
>engine doesn't even support resource or bundle-fopmat externals, and
>neither revdb nor Valentina have been built in the older format.

Oh.. ;-)   I have scoured everywhere and I am just not seeing this, of course externals have always been confusing in their implementation to me anyways....

>This is a bug: it should give you an execution error report here (not
>that this helps you much because it still wouldn't work).
>
>Your problems are complicated by the fact that RR was never upgraded
>to the MetaCard 2.4.3 Carbon engine, which is the only one you have
>any hope of getting externals to work in CGI mode with.  Even then, I
>don't know if revdb will work with it and am sure that it's not
>supported even if it did.
>
>Note that I *do* think you could get this to work using the VXCMD
>external directly with the MetaCard 2.4.3 Carbon engine, however.  >Not that we're volunteering to provide support for this, seeing as
>how you didn't buy MetaCard ;-)  Maybe the developers of VXCMD can help you.

I have read this a few times and I am just not getting it......    As a side note, my license is coming up for renewal (as I mentioned).. I have been told that RunRev will be able to do Valentina from Darwin in 2.0 - which is great news to me...  If it doesn't do what I need I amy consider going with MetaCard - are you saying if I did you would make this work?....

>The latter I believe to be possible.  Note that this whole area is
>still in flux, though, and you'll have to do things a little
>differently for the upcoming MC 2.5/RR 2.0 release because the Carbon
>engine is now Mach-O format and so will require a different external
>format (a bundle).

As long as it's something I can understand I don't care how it's done... As long as it is at least not jumping through hoops, like VXCMD's seem to be...

>Keep in mind that you're not using a database product, you're using an
>application development environment.  Since 99% of the work done with
>MC/RR is graphical, you've kind of got to expect a certain roughness
>if you're going to use if for something else.  About all I can
>guarantee is that you'll find doing CGI in MC/RR a lot easier than
>doing GUI development in Perl ;-)

Well, there are still no command line utilities for Valentina... Someone (maybe I will) should write a PERL module to interface to the C libraries of the Mach-O version.. That would be really the ideal solution....

As for doing GUI's in PERL.. I actually do them in UNIX all the time - it's not too bad really...   The problem is getting this to work on multiple platforms....  That's the reason I wanted to go with Revolution....

The problem is since the database tool does not support any command-line scripting, the obvious way to interface to is using a development environment which does.... Writing  a "psql/mysql/sqlplus/isql/etc" command line utility in C does not appeal to me, especially since it sounds like I would have to license Valentina twice (one for the C library and another for the XCMD/Mach-O/whatever it is, which is *very* unappealing...   So it seemed like using Revolution to create this connection was a logical way to proceed.....

>This all works fine: no need to use the graphical IDE to develop your
>scripts.  But you do have to use the Darwin engine (no external
>support) or the newest MC Carbon engines.
>
>As an aside, and not that you need yet another thing to learn, but
>using vi for application development is strictly for lightweights
>IMHO.  Real programmers use Emacs ;-)

Yeah, Emacs is da' bomb!...  But, I do find I use vi more often for some reason...  (I've not really analyzed why that is, maybe some quirk with my personality??.. ;-) )  Oh, and I'm also not a programmer...  More of a systems integrator (in fact I hate writing code and do as little of it as possible - though sometimes that's a lot) - maybe that has something to do with it...

>This is not even theoretically possible: there is no stdio support in
>the Classic OS.

Hehehe.. *smacks self on forhead*...

- Greg