It vs. the result (was Repeatloop in mouseDown...)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Nov 18 15:24:01 EST 2002

On Monday, November 18, 2002, at 11:02 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> That should be flagged as a bug, since "it" is more commonly used for
> return
> values from command and "the result" is more commonly used for error
> info.
>
> Is there a lexical distinction that justfies this exception?

Yeah.  Good question.

Functions return values directly.  Message handlers may return values
obtained through result().  Some commands return values in callbacks
(and often also in the result).  All others return values in result()
except for CARGA (convert, answer, read, get and ask).  I think.

I'm not sure what is so special about CARGA.  I think that the main
purpose of those commands is to generate a string.  For example, you
read to obtain a string, but the id from a send is incidental.  Maybe
that is the distinction.

I'm just babbling.

Dar Scott