Sound not playing sometimes. Why?

Marian Petrides mpetrides at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 15 13:37:00 EST 2002

Full length of the sound's file name appears to be an issue.  If one exceeds
certain limit for full pathname/filename then the sound (or video) file
appears not to play.  I suspect that the files that play properly have file
names that are (a trifle) shorter than those which do not play properly

You can test this by putting everything (your stack, the audio files, etc.)
in a folder at root level and then running the app.  If I'm right, then this
should solve your problem.

If I'm right about the cause, then one workaround would be to hard code the
pathnames of the audio files in your scripts rather than using relative
pathnames.  This has its disadvantages, especially if you plan on distributing
your app, but it does work--and isn't a problem for me, since my intention (at
the request of my publisher) is to have the app run off the distribution CD.

HTH.

Marian