Constraining the pointer within a group

DVGlasgow at aol.com DVGlasgow at aol.com
Sun Nov 10 07:30:01 EST 2002

I have been working on assessment tools for people with learning
disabilities.  Sometimes they also have motor skills problems.

I ask them to rate something using a scale made up of adjacent buttons which
behave like radio buttons, but offers a bigger target.  Sometimes the act of
clicking by users nudges the pointer off the button group so the mouseup is
not registered.  Since I am timing responses, this is a real pain, to say
nothing of the frustration caused to the user.

I am thinking of trying to constrain the pointer so it cannot move out of the
rating scale area until a rating has been made.  Before I start to
experiment, has anyone any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Best wishes,

David Glasgow
Home/ forensic assessments --> <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/dvglasgow/">