OS X native RR apps listed as "Classic"

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Wed Nov 6 11:32:02 EST 2002

On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 07:42  AM, Kurt Kaufman wrote:

> Since I've been getting a lot of inquiries as to why my OS X native RR
> apps are designated as "Classic" in their "Get Info"  Finder windows,
> I'd like to know whether this will be "fixed" in the next version of
> RR, or whether someone could write an application (in RR?) that might
> adjust the "plist" or whatever is needed to correct this inaccuracy.
> Does the problem have to do with the file format of the carbon binary
> (CFM/PEF vs. Dyld/Mach-O)?
> Thanks, Kurt

I noticed this as well and since I'm familiar with OS X app bundles, I
created one and plunked my Revolution binary into the bundle. I created
the bundle with Project Builder, but you could do it by hand instead.
Using a bundle gives one complete control over how the app appears to
the user including the icon and get-info data. If you want, I can mail
you the app bundle and Project Builder .pbproj file. This may become a
non-issue if Rev gets this completely fixed for v2.0.

It's just a Folder with this structure. The .app suffix is important.

# ls -R FacilityCalculator.app

FacilityCalculator.app/Contents:
Info.plist                PkgInfo                   pbdevelopment.plist
MacOS/                    Resources/

FacilityCalculator.app/Contents/MacOS:
FacilityCalculator  data/

FacilityCalculator.app/Contents/MacOS/data:
UserData.rev

FacilityCalculator.app/Contents/Resources:
English.lproj/  nps.icns

FacilityCalculator.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj:
InfoPlist.strings

--
FacilityCalculator.app/Contents/MacOS/FacilityCalculator is my Rev
binary.

nps.icns is an icons file created with IconComposer.app, which comes
with the OS X developer tools. (you just run it and drag-n-drop four
TIFFs or PNGs of the right size onto the app's image wells, then save)

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at swcp.com
alex_rice at arc.to