SQL connections

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Fri Nov 1 20:01:01 EST 2002

I use this script in the onMouseUp event of button that gets a connection:

  put revdb_connections() into connectionList
  if connectionList is empty then
    put the text of button btnDbType into DbType
    put the text of field fdDsn into Dsn
    put the text of field fdUsername into Username
    put the text of field fdDsn into thePassword
    get revdb_connect(DbType,Dsn,"",Username,thePassword)
    wait 3 seconds -- not sure if it needs to wait as long as this
    put revdb_connections() into connectionList
    if connectionList is empty then
      answer "problem connecting to specified datasource"
     else
             set the cpConnNumber of field fdDsn to It
             -- here the connection number is stored as a custom property so it
can be grabbed when needed
    end if
  end if

You will need to configure the Dsn (ODBC DataSource Name).  I know how to do
this on Win2k and Linux, but not on OS X.  It means you will need to have ODBC
drivers for the database you are using (unless you are using MySql, Oracle or
Valentina - in which case I believe you can make use of the connectors supplied
with Rev.)

Here is the code you can put in a handler to take the SQL from a field, run it
against the ODBC connection, and display the result in another field:

  put the cpConnNumber of field fdDSN into theConnection
  get revdb_querylist(comma,return,theConnection,field "fdQuery")
  put it into field fdResultset

Hope this helps.