revGoURL unexpected results redux

Barry Levine themacguy at mac.com
Sun May 26 13:04:01 EDT 2002

Karl,

Your advisory about running this in 9.1 is well-received; probably the
difference between the way OS9 and OSX handle paths. There may be a Rev
function that will normalize this but I haven't looked yet. Funny thing
is that looking at the OSX version of IE revealed -no- creator code even
if I delved into the pkg file and examined the MacOS stuff held therein.
I saved a source file from within IE and examined it for its type and
creator codes. I suppose the Classic version of IE could have launched
but, sure enough, the OSX version is what popped up (as I hoped).

Obviously, if I intend my app to play in OS9 and Windoze systems, I will
have to add some gestalt code to determine in which sandbox I am playing.

Regards,
Barry
- - -
On Sunday, May 26, 2002, at 10:01 AM, use-revolution-
request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 07:52:45 -0700
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
> From: Karl Petersen <karlpet at mac.com>
> Subject: Re: revGoURL unexpected results
>
> Running the script in Mac OS 9.1, IE refuses to open the file unless
> a third "/" is inserted after "file:". Perhaps IE requires two, plus
> Rev adds one for the pathname?
>
> Without the third slash, perhaps the URL isn't in the format IE
> expects. That may cause IE to hand the file off to TextEdit to open.
>
> Inserting "localhost" causes the script to fail here. If adding
> another slash fails, you might try it without "localhost".
>
> Karl
>

> At 2:42 PM -0600 5/25/02, Barry Levine wrote:
>> ask file "Please provide a name for this file" with "Untitled-" &
>> the seconds & ".htm"
>>   if it is not empty then -- if the user wants to save the file
>>     put myVar into URL ("file:" & it) -- myVar has the contents of the
>> file
>>     -- hard disk name becomes "localhost" under OSX, maybe other OS's
>> too?
>>     put it into myVar
>>     set the itemDelimiter to "/"
>>     put "localhost" into item 2 of myVar
>>     --answer myVar -- for testing purposes
>>     revGoURL "file:/" & myVar
>>   end if
>>
>> Here's the strange part: The file, though written exactly as
>> expected, opens in TextEdit rather than IE (which is what is
>> configured in the Internet System Pref); and TextEdit displays the
>> file perfectly (with the html table I generated in a earlier part of
>> the handler displying perfectly).
>>
>> Before I replaced the name of my hard drive with "localhost", IE
>> would launch -but- only my homepage would display.
Barry Jay Levine
"The Mac Guy"
Macintosh Troubleshooting, System Engineering, Training,
AppleShare/OSX Server Setup, System Upgrades and Enhancements

On-Site service for K20, Business, Consumer

Phone/VoiceMail: 915-581-1105
             Fax: 915-581-8167
           eMail: themacguy at mac.com

MacOS X: It does. You can. It will.

WindowsXP: Insert wallet into Drive A: Press any key to empty