revGoURL unexpected results

Barry Levine themacguy at mac.com
Sat May 25 15:49:01 EDT 2002

I was trying to have Rev launch my browser and open an html file that I
generated from within Rev. Here's the code:

ask file "Please provide a name for this file" with "Untitled-" & the
seconds & ".htm"
   if it is not empty then -- if the user wants to save the file
     put myVar into URL ("file:" & it) -- myVar has the contents of the
file
     -- hard disk name becomes "localhost" under OSX, maybe other OS's
too?
     put it into myVar
     set the itemDelimiter to "/"
     put "localhost" into item 2 of myVar
     --answer myVar -- for testing purposes
     revGoURL "file:/" & myVar
   end if

Here's the strange part: The file, though written exactly as expected,
opens in TextEdit rather than IE (which is what is configured in the
Internet System Pref); and TextEdit displays the file perfectly (with
the html table I generated in a earlier part of the handler displying
perfectly).

Before I replaced the name of my hard drive with "localhost", IE would
launch -but- only my homepage would display.

So what gives? Any advice would be appreciated. You should know that
"myVar" contains no spaces.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry Jay Levine
"The Mac Guy"
Macintosh Troubleshooting, System Engineering, Training,
AppleShare/OSX Server Setup, System Upgrades and Enhancements
On-Site service for K20, Business, Consumer