sound images

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Wed May 22 22:55:01 EDT 2002

> While on the topic of sound in runrev, does anyone have a way of
> displaying a soundwave and selecting a bit of it and returning the
> start/end point of the chunk? I want to display a 45 minute sound
> file and be able to transcribe it and have time alignment of each
> transcribed chunk.

Does your application really need a  visual representation? If not I have a
transcriber stack that is still a work in progress, which works "by the
numbers"   i.e. when you start the audio it has a running time clock, when
you pause or resume it starts from the point where you stopped. You can bump
forward or back to replay a section that might have been difficult to
transcribe...etc. the old fashion dictaphone foot-pedal machine model, but
now on a computer interface.

Someone can quit and come back tomorrow and pick up the audio at the exact
point where they left off... we have been using this for about 5 years
(originally in Supercard)  with our
correspondents, and others who transcribe audio. We just put the standalone
on a CD with an MPG of the audio, mail it to them and they send back
transcripts of interviews etc. by email...  I just ported it to
Revolution last month. if interested email me off list... it would be a
simple matter to pass the point in time where you are pausing to start
transcription to a variable and poke it into  the transcription field. In
fact, I'll be working on that whole interface here in the next week...

But if you a visual wave bar is critical to your app this is won't help.

I'll be continuing to develop this to transcribe and catalog audio libraries
where the original sound files, containing information on a diversity of
subjects, remain intact as single files, but a dbase will contain
references, transcriptions etc. tied to the exact time points where they are
found in the audio, so that all sound studio cutting of the original audio
is dispensed with and the task of transcribing, cataloging etc. can be
delegated to someone who has no special skill requirements other than the
ability to click, type and listen.

Hinduism Today

Sivakatirswami
Editor's Assistant/Production Manager
katir at hindu.org
www.HinduismToday.com, www.HimalayanAcademy.com,
www.Gurudeva.org, www.hindu.org

Read The Master Course Lesson of the Day at
http://www.gurudeva.org/lesson.shtml