record sound on a Mac

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue May 21 12:29:01 EDT 2002

on 5/20/02 5:30 PM, Mark Talluto at fuegox at mac.com wrote:

> Sorry to get back so late.  I have tried your suggestions and still get
> the same problem.  The sound files are created and the quality is good.
> The only problem is that the recordings are not correct.  A recording of
> "testing 1, 2, 3" will play back as "3.....2"  and maybe it will put in
> at the very end "testing 1".  Strange I know.  I have reported it to
> Scott and he stated that the problem is a bug in QuickTime 5.  It may
> only be on the mac.  I am waiting for QT 6 to show up here in July and
> we will see.
----------
Hi Mark,

This is fascinating.

So, let me get this straight again. Are you saying QT 5, all by itself, is
somehow breaking up a single recording into sound segments, and then playing
them back, each segment being played forward, i.e., the sound segments are
NOT backwards, but in reverse order? OR, is it just playing the whole thing
backwards (difficult to type that, you'd have to reverse letters, etc.). Can
you send me the file that does this off list? I'd love to hear it for
myself.

Try making a continuous recording, one where sound never stops, like a short
song. I'd like to see what it does with that. I'm not having problems like
you describe, nor have I heard of your particular problem.

Lots of folks are recording sound into QT files, including myself, and many
of them _every day_ as part of their work. To repeat, I have _not_
experienced the problem you speak of; therefore, although I'm not saying QT
5 is 100% bug free, just that I doubt that is the problem.

Try the QuickTime list: