memory use in Standalones

Mathewson richmond at mail.maclaunch.com
Wed May 15 03:34:01 EDT 2002

So, having got my way round all the other problems I ran off
3 standalones: one for Mac 9, one for Mac 10 (aka X) and one
for Windows.  Bung the CD in a real Windows machine (after
the glacially slow experience with Virtual PC) and find that
even on a state-of-the-whatsit Pentium 4 with pots of RAM it
takes donkey's ages to load - once loaded it is fine; but
the long load time means that my target audience (spotty
teenagers) will have gone clicky-click-click-click all over
the shop and the teacher supervising the session will have
rung up NUT about early retirement and industrial tribunals.
Similar probs with the Mac versions.

Is this because the machines are loading lots of stuff into
the RAM/and,or/Virtual Memory?

Is this because I'm a thick wazzuck"

Enlightenment would be gratefully received.

Mathewson