Doubt

William T. Simmons tsimmons at employmentlawadvisors.com
Mon May 13 11:55:01 EDT 2002

Fabio,
As someone who started programming on the Mac, but for various
business-related reasons is marooned in the PC world, I hope you persist in
your efforts to achieve the Mac look. Even died-in-the-wool Windows users
are trainable as to the look and feel of an application. If the application
is good enough, i.e., rock-solid in what it's supposed to do, users will
forgive slight deviations in GUI standards. On my Windows XP, I've got a Mac
OSX visual theme, so I get to pretend that I have Mac OSX on my PC while I'm
working (except the min/max/close buttons are on the right side, not the
left - oh, well)*. Take Klaus' suggestion and get the Mac look-and-feel into
your application by means of scripted graphics - your users will be
impressed.

This question is for the list in general: are there by now any collections
available (CD-ROM or download) of general-purpose Aqua-look graphics for use
in application or Web development? I could go the long route of using Paint
Shop Pro to try to emulate that look, but I'm not a graphics wiz and would
just as soon purchase some good Aqua-style graphics as a set.

Tommy Simmons
Employment Law Advisory Network
www.employmentlawadvisors.com

* There's no way it equals the real thing. For instance, XP has *nothing*
that even remotely resembles the look and the action of the docking bar (or
whatever it's called) at the bottom center of the OSX screen - the fluidity
with which the icons resize with the mouseOver event blew me away the first
several dozen or so times I saw it - it still strikes me as technology that
Apple must have stolen from an advanced extraterrestrial civilization
somewhere...