Two questions ...

David Vaughan drvaughan55 at mac.com
Sun May 5 22:13:01 EDT 2002

On Monday, May 6, 2002, at 10:21 , lifepaintandpassion wrote:

> All...
>
> I have a button that will need to save the content of six single line
> fields
> to a text file called "saved_prefs" in the same directory as the app.
> When
> the user later opens that card again the openCard script will need to
> read
> that info back in to those six fields if a text file named "saved_prefs"
> exists. Help please. Is this possible using the starter edition (e.g.,
> the
> 10 line limit -- I'd but the full version but I've been out of work
> since
> November 9th with a family to support so food is more important right
> now
> than software :)).

David

I do not use the limited version so my ideas are untested against a ten
line limit. A couple of ways you can limit your script lines and
accomplish the task are:

You know where the data is so no dialog is required (just a warning if
the get fails, if it fits)
Read in the data with "get url" rather than open, read and close.
Code the six field IDs as a literal item string ("1001,1007..."etc) and
then use a repeat loop to put the data lines into the corresponding
fields.

See how that goes.

regards
Another David