binaryEncode question

Klaus Major k_major at osnabrueck.netsurf.de
Sat May 4 07:09:01 EDT 2002

Hi Kurt and Dar and all :-)

> Thanks to Jeanne DeVoto for her suggestion.  Which brings me to my next
> question (I hope I'm not asking too many!) as to why the following
> script leaves me with an empty (0 bytes) new file (global gBinData
> contains binary data converted from entered Hex bytes using the
> binaryEncode function, but I can't get this to work with plain text,
> either):
>
> on mouseup
>   global gBinData
>   ask file "enter name of file"
>   put it into newFile
>   open file newFile for binary write
>   write gBinData to file newFile
> end mouseup
>
> None of the other permutations I tried have worked.  I'm sure I need a
> dope slap, here. :-)
>
> Any help appreciated!
> -Kurt

there is an even shorter way to write somthing to a file.

...and there is no way to forget to close that file ;-)

on mouseup
   global gBinData
   ask file "enter name of file"
   put it into newFile
   put gBinData into url("binfile:" & newFile)
end mouseup

or use "file:" if it is (ascii-) text-data.

Regards

Klaus Major
k_major at osnabrueck.netsurf.de