Behavior Disturbing to the Uninitiated

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Fri May 3 09:51:00 EDT 2002

Hi All,

After spending most of yesterday afternoon trying to:

A.  Determine why one card in my stack was displaying a smaller
window than the remaining cards, and

B.  How to get one field on an existing card onto one other card,

I would suggest the Menu Manager tutorial be beefed up to--

1. show the intricacies of working with groups
2. make the point that, in Mac O/S, cards that have a menu group will
display a smaller window than cards that do not.

Specifically, when the menu is created, the tutorial should discuss
setting the background property so the menu will appear on all cards
created in the stack and mention that if that isn't done different
size windows will result on Mac systems..

Also, the tutorial should proceed to the Application Overview, show
the user the menu group that was created, and explain how to create &
edit groups.  (I spent hours looking at half the App Overview screen
before I realized the info I need was displayed only after I hit a
tiny show/hide detail button.)

FWIW, I'm not crazy about the Menu Manager's approach to menus.  Is
there not some way (eg: make the controls invisible or position them
off screen) to do this without messing up window size?  Unless you
place menus first, all control positioning will be off on every
screen menus are added to after-the-fact.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company