Comparisons with Flash MX?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Wed Mar 27 14:09:01 EST 2002

On Wednesday, March 27, 2002, at 09:28  AM, Ken Ray wrote:

> Not to sway anyone from Rev, but the promise of MX is the ability to
> run on
> all platforms (including PDAs). There is already support for Flash 5 on
> the
> latest crop of Pocket PCs, and I know they either currently have or will
> have soon an MX player for Pocket PCs.

Not to mention menu systems of DVDs...

For me, the differentiating features between Flash and MC/REV is
efficient animation.  If you want to develop compact polished animation
sequences with morph effects and streaming audio/video, you'll be hard
pressed to find anything that competes with Flash.

Also, a compelling aspect of Flash is (as Ken said) its promise of
ubiquity.  Apparently, Macromedia is establishing partnerships with
hardware/software developers to get Flash everywhere.  One can argue
that Flash is not a "real" application development environment such as
MC/REV, but you can't ignore it when MC/REV is not available for your
delivery platform (browser, PDA, etc).

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director, Tactile Media