Comparisons with Flash MX?

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Wed Mar 27 11:03:01 EST 2002

On Wednesday, March 27, 2002, at 10:35 AM, Peter Reid wrote:

> Has anyone had a good look at what Flash MX is offering by comparison
> to Rev?  Some of my customers are starting to mutter about
> "cross-platform" applications written in Flash MX.  It would be nice to
> know the relative strengths and weaknesses of Flash MX vs Rev so I can
> have sensible discussions with such customers!

MX is very weak when it comes to system level operations and use and/or
management of local files. It has no ability to "talk" with hardware.

Of course, it is useful for "Flashy" little presentations and
"interactives" - but NOT "programs".

It also continues to suffer from file size limitations. After 4-5
meg ... it's done.

Basically MX is Flash 5 with some fundamental productivity enhancements
(which should have existed all along.)

MX is now a better tool than Flash was. It certainly does not compete
with Rev for overall power. The two applications are on different
planes. Rev builds applications. MX builds "interactives". Both Director
and iShell still build more powerful interactives (bordering on
applications) than MX does.

At my shop, we use Rev, MX, and iShell - depending on the project
requirements.

HTH

--
Troy