assign by reference - a comment

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sun Mar 24 12:44:43 EST 2002

>>While I favor support for pointers, handles, etc.  that does NOT
>>mean I support their implementation in Xtalk with cryptic @ or @@
>>syntax al la C.  Any support for these features should fit
>>naturally into Xtalk: eg "get the address of someVariable" seems
>>natural for a pointer.
>
>How about...
>
>put the id of variable oneVariable into pointerToVariable
>put the "blah blah" into variable ID pointerToVariable

Hi Dar,

If there are more folks on this List interested in support for these
features, we could jointly produce a complete list of suggested
syntax and present it to the Xtalk List for consideration.

I think there are many possible terms, and the more people who
participate and offer suggestions, the more likely a viable syntax
will emerge.

The feature I find most difficult to convert to Xtalk is data
structure notation and reference, which, by implication, requires
explicit variable typing.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company