use-revolution digest, Vol 1 #284 - 12 msgs

Matt Denton matt.denton at limelight.com.au
Sat Mar 23 19:34:01 EST 2002

Dear List,

I'm trying to decode text that has language diacritical marks included,
to give the root-letter form: é to e; ç to c etc.

I've hunted through the documentation (Text and Data Processing) looking
for some in-built transcript term or way of handling and matching these
characters, I vaguely recall somewhere this has been addressed.

Short of writing a small parser (not a hard task), does anyone know of
commands/methods of handling these characters?  My task is to match
typed text in a field with a text  that may or may not have diacritical
marks, a field of about 32K of text data.

Many thanks, I'll keep hunting the docs!

M@
Matt Denton