assign by reference - a comment

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Mar 23 12:18:00 EST 2002

>>ironic "...capability of writing self-modifying code. Think about
>>the potential of that feature."
>
>Hi David,
>
>Try as I might, I don't see the irony.

I tried harder, David:

If you mean the potential for error, that goes without saying.  Give
anyone a new tool or new power and you increase the potential ways
they can screw up.

Pointers, handles, direct system calls, and such are not child's play.

But Revolution is not a tool for children.

In its first incarnation as HyperTalk, Xtalk was designed to keep
these "programming matches" out of the hands of beginners so they
couldn't burn themselves; however if professional RR developers are
to successfully compete with developers using other development
environments, they should not be restrained because adding more
features to the environment may cause problems for users lacking the
experience to use them correctly.  (Of course power for
self-modification has been there from HC v1)

In 25 years of programming business applications I've never found the
need to write self-modifying (in the traditional sense) code; but
that doesn't mean I would want someone working in AI to be locked out
of RunRev as a development platform in order to keep newbies from
shooting themselves in the foot with a weapon they don't understand
how to use.  It also doesn't mean that some day, after I've mastered
all the techniques that are more important to my app that I won't at
least experiment with ways of programming it to modify it's behavior
based on past experience.

FWIW, I think this issue is more likely to arise here than among
MetaCard users because, whereas MC was always a tool for
professionals (@ one large a pop), RunRev's introductory pricing has
attempted to attract HyperCard users who would not consider paying
that much for a development tool.  Don't get me wrong...I wish very
strongly that there were a current programming tool for the "masses"
al la HyperCard.  That's why I worked on the FreeCard project and
helped man the iHUG booth at MacWorld 2001.

But I don't think RunRev can be both that tool for the masses AND the
world's best professional development platform, bar none.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company