datagrams & sockets

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Mar 23 07:20:01 EST 2002

On Friday, March 22, 2002, at 11:06 PM, JohnRule at aol.com wrote:

>> Suppose you "open datagram socket" to the SNMP port 161 on your
>> router and "write" an SNMP GET datagram.  The underlying system
>> will assign you a port on your computer when you do this.  The
>> router will send an SNMP RESPONSE back to that port.  You need to
>> get that datagram.  But you don't know what port to "accept" on.
>
> It sounds like your device is not responding (opening a port on
> it's side,
> and sending back the socket number it opened).

I set up a packet sniffer.  I see a UDP datagram sent to port 13
(datetime) on the remote computer and I see one with the date back
from the remote computer.

> I have been able to do this
> with any device that is set up to create it's own connection
> (server mode?).

I've done that with TCP, but I haven't figured out a way with UDP.
I worked on it some more, but to no avail.  I'd like to see how you
did that.

Dar Scott