The Incredible Shrinking Movie

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Mar 18 16:12:05 EST 2002

This appears to be a bug in way player objects work.  I'm using the
latest test version (1.1.1b2).

Recipe:

1. Create a QuickTime player object.

2. Bring up a QuickTime movie in the player. (I am using the "set the
fileName..." method in a script, but the same thing happens if you
browse to the movie.)

3. Open the properties palette for the player.

4. Select the last tab (Quicktime logo tab).

5. Check the width and height of the player object.

6. Disable one of the movie's tracks (eg., a sound or a text track,
but disabling any track seems to show this effect).

7. Check the player's width again.  It is two pixels narrower and
three pixels shorter than it was before.

8. Enable the track again.  The player will have shrunken again, by
the same amounts, in height and width.

9. This shrinking will be repeated each time you enable or disable a track.

Looks like a bug to me.  Has anyone else seen this?

Devin
--
Devin Asay
Humanities Research Center