Apologies/test

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Fri Mar 15 02:11:01 EST 2002

-----Original Message-----
> From: Greg Saylor
>
> I apologize if I have been sending HTML messages to the list.
> I didn't realize that this was happening.   This is a test
> to make sure it has stopped happening.

Not that I mind myself, but this came in as formatted/html on my client
(outlook).  However, a clue from the html content leads me to believe that
while you tried, something beyond your control negated your efforts.  In
particular, the line:

<META NAME="Generator" CONTENT="MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">

tells me this was processed by a real MS Exchange server, and not a case of
coming from your [outlook] client straight to your ISP's server.  MSex 5.5
has this nasty habit of converting plain-text messages to HTML without the
sender's permission or knowledge.

One "admission" of this problem can be found here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q222508

It only gets worse with MSEx2k -- although I cannot find it any longer,
there is a "known bug" that will convert plain-text to HTML when the
outbound virus scanner "opens" the message.  The "bug" has to do with the
fact that OPENING a message causes the "use-html" flag to get set; if you
fail to reset that flag when you close it, it stays as html.  Of course, the
AV scanning software knows nothing of this flag (nor what it used to be set
to), so it inadvertantly changes the outbound format...