use-revolution digest, Vol 1 #248 - 12 msgs

Greg Saylor GSaylor at ATP.com
Wed Mar 6 13:43:01 EST 2002

> Try using the latest beta - version 1.1.1B1. It seems much
> more stable than
> the release version.

I have tried this one, but it seems to have a bunch of problems too.
Though it is more stable, I have to keep restarting because little
things, like the fact the script edit window
doesn't open up to the size I set it to. And when I have the properties
field open and go from one item to another item none of the changes are
reflected in the properties window.  (NOTE: Both of these only happen
after using it for a while.

On a related subject, with both versions of this I have found a *VERY*
odd problem. I have a "tabbed button" and the text for the tabs are
something like:

"Sect. 1, 2, and 3"
"Sect. 2, and 4"
"Sect. 5, 6, and 7"
"Sect. 8"

And I do something like this in the action for the button:

on mouseUp
   go to card the selectedtext of me of stack "FAA Form 337"
end mouseUp

As a result i have several cards with the same names "Sect. 1, 2, and
3", "Sect. 5, 6, and 7", etc.  Now what happens is really strange
The text of the card names actually gets changed to something else
sometimes.  I dont' have the exact string, because I have recently
corrected it. But it is something like:  "Sect. 1/REVOLUTION01
2/REVOLUTION01 3/REVOLUTION01".  It works for a while and then it
screws up. It looks like it is choking on the "," character.

> needs to get access to
> > the controls on it's parent stack....
> Use "the mainStack of this stack". This gives you the name of
> the parent
> stack. Note that if you build an application with the

I have tried this and I just can't get it to work.. ;<

Here is my original line:

on openStack
  repeat with x = 1 to the number of lines of the cardIDs of stack "Form"
    repeat with y = 1 to the number of lines of the groupIDs of card x of
stack "Form"
        if the owner of control z of group y of card x of stack "Form" is
the name of group y of card x of stack "Form" then
          if the print of group y of card x of stack "Form" = 1 then
            put the name of control z of group y of card x of stack "Form"
into theName
            put count+1 into count
    end repeat
  end repeat
close openStack

The problem with this is it has the "Form" hardcoded and every attempt I
have done to make it non-hard coded has basically failed. And my hands
are sore from trying. heheeh...  Any ideas?  I think I am about
ready to make this purchase, Revolution seems very flexible and all of
the great help here on the list server is a huge asset.

> Points I guess, same as when you select a font size from a
> normal font menu
> in any application.

You are correct. I have done some investigation, they are in points.
And of course the font sizes are different between platforms, which
truly sucks when trying to do any sort of precise layout in a
cross-platform sort of way.

> Another idea to consider is using the formattedWidth, the
> formattedHeight &
> the formattedText to arrange your fields or text to fit.

For now I have gone with the scaling approach, but as a long-term idea I
think the formattedWidth may be a better way to approach it.  It seems
like an interesting angle.

> If you save the stack, they'll be there next time. Otherwise
> they will be
> gone next time the stack is opened, but not between uses if
> the application
> is left open. Do you need to create new fields? Perhaps you
> could make them
> in advance but have them hidden.

I have taken your advice on this, but the problem is I am trying to
design something a bit more general purpose where the background and
forms are specified externally to the application.  So there is some
sort of "designer" that could be used to design it and the main
applicaiton which depends on what was done with the designer.

I just want to make sure I understand. If I do some procedure in
"openStack" which adds fields to the form and then do a "closeStack".
The next time I open the stack for printing it will print new fields
correct?  I think what you are suggesting is to not do the
"closeStack" and just let it stay open. In a "built application" will
this present a problem when the users closes my application?. I don't
want them to have the ability to save that stack, just have it exit
without saving the changes.

> > #7. Originally what I wanted to do was set a TIFF image
> (converted to a PNG)
> > as a background for the printed page...
> Can't help here but I am interested in any ideas that you get
> from other
> people.

I have another idea on this one, but I'm just not sure how to pull it
off.  Basically what it amounts to is a way to convert a postscript
file into a file with a series of "commands" which would basically
draw the form automatically inside of a Revolution stack. I don't
know where I am going with this yet, but it would seem to solve the
problem since vector-type graphics look very nice when printed from
revolution.

- Greg