Saving Docs to other places

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Wed Mar 6 10:03:00 EST 2002

At 6:06 PM -0800 3/5/02, Ken Norris (dialup) wrote:
>I want to dedicate one of my ancient Macs (probably an SE or SE 30 because
>it won't use much desk space) to nothing but reference docs, so I don't have
>to interrupt what I'm doing in my development environment. For our purposes,
>let's just say Rev's docs.
>
>The problem is, the machine I want to use will not run RR, but it _will_ run
>HC and older versions of Claris and MS Word.
>
>Question sets:
>
>1) Is the stack made with RTF only for the term hilite search capability? I
>don't think I can implement that (without a heckuvalotuvwork) in that old a
>machine.

It was made with RTF because that allows some control over formatting while being importable into Word, AppleWorks, and a variety of other applications.

>2) Can I transfer (at least) the plain text of the docs into HyperCard
>fields? How about Claris for RTF? I can "Save Text" from the button, but
>what does it do, and where is it allowed to go?

Aren't HyperCard fields limited to 32k of text? (it's been too long since I worked with HyperCard) That would mean you'd have to create a ton of cards in a HyperCard stack.

You can open the RTF in Claris/AppleWorks.

The Save as Text button saves the docs as a text-only document. You can open that in Word, AppleWorks, BBEdit, etc.

>3) Depending on the answers of (2), may I ask for some suggestions how I
>might go about it.

I wouldn't try the HyperCard thing -- too much work to set up, and when the docs are updated, a pain to do again. Besides the text option, you could also use the HTML export -- it supports cross-references (mostly), and maintains the character formatting (mostly). You could use a low-memory browser like iCab. You would have to provide your own global search, though. BBEdit can search multiple documents, and other options are available.

>4) Why do the Rev docs use such huge fonts in the headers and large line
>spacing? I find it disturbing and unnecessary, and would like to change it.
>I see that it prints out without the big fonts, but there still isn't much
>content, just the one term in the dictionary for example, per page, thus
>there are 1800+ pages to print out. I think we're probably talking about 6
>inches (or so) thickness, even if printed double sided, meaning at least
>three volumes. Consequently, for a serious RR developer, I think using a
>separate computer dedicated to the docs is the way to go.

The formatting of the exports is my responsibility/fault. :-) However, you are in complete control of the formatting of the exports. The three fields on each card are templates for that export. Change the formatting text there to produce smaller type, and perhaps not insert a page break for each item. The page breaks were for organization; I never expected people would print based on the export, since the original purpose was to be able to search all the help docs at once.

>5) If I wanted to run the Rev docs _as_ Rev docs, but just them only, what
>would be the memory cost? That is, I have a Mac Performa 630 which is
>running a 640x480 monitor with OS 7.6.1, maxed out at 32 mb of RAM (cannot
>take more). Will the RR docs run in RTF mode with just the basic MC engine?
>How about if I up the virtual memory to 64 mb? The monitor takes up more
>desk space than I'd like, but I can put the computer box somewhere off the
>desk.

See below. It would likely be the same.

>6) How about making the docs as a standalone? The ultimate solution
>methinks. This one goes to the Improve Rev list, too.

You can open the docs without the development environment; just double-click one of the stacks with Revolution closed. Some of the functionality breaks, but overall it seems usable in my limited testing. It would be about the same if you built a standalone.

regards,

Geoff