cover button

Scott Slaugh xslaugh at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 17 17:05:01 EDT 2002

>From: "Ken Norris (dialup)" <pixelbird at interisland.net>
>To: <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>Subject: Re: cover button
>Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:21:42 -0700
>
>on 6/16/02 2:10 AM, John Cuccio at jcuccio at pacbell.net wrote:
>
> > Are you trying to make all of the buttons the same color or cover them
>up so
> > they do not show.
> >
> > To make them a different color. Hold Down the shift button while
>selecting
> > all the buttons you want. Select the color you want.
> >
> > To hide the buttons use a another button or blank image. Set the layer
>to a
> > higher number then the buttons you want to hide.
>----------
>I seem to have deleted the original post, so please forgve me if I'm
>butting
>in stupidly, but you can always 'hide' (command) and 'show' buttons. Also,
>you can script images just like buttons, and use them to layer over (cover)
>other objects.
>
>Sometimes I have objects close together and I don't want the user to
>accidentally click wrong ones, so, rather than go through the disconcerting
>process of actually disabling or hiding them, I just temporarily "show" a
>transparent button over them. The user is unaware of this, it's just a
>trick
>to keep them out of trouble without making any noticeable changes to the
>screen.
>
>On the other hand, sometimes I cover objects with a graphical image
>designed
>explicitily to depict a covering metaphor, like a curtain, a lid, or a
>door,
>or even something more subtle and whispy, like a translucent color. I think
>you can even animate these into position. I haven't tried this, but I think
>it would be a nice effect in some cases.

What I had was a bunch of buttons with color icons.  You click on them and
drag to make a map that shows up on a TV screen.  I don't want the people
looking on the TV screen to really be able to notice the buttons at the top,
so I need to be able to cover them and make them all the same color.  What I
ended up doing was making a graphic that covered them up.

Scott Slaugh