Linking to a DLL or WinHelp API

William T. Simmons tsimmons at employmentlawadvisors.com
Sat Jun 15 15:42:01 EDT 2002

I've tried an archive search, but for some reason couldn't get the archive
downloaded or onto my computer, so I'm hoping someone on the Rev list will
be able to offer some insight here. I'm trying to produce a small Rev
application that will control the printing of multiple topics from a WinHelp
file (Win95-style or "WinHelp 4"). If I could just figure out how to make
Rev send a command to the WinHelp API, I think I'd have this problem solved.
An alternative would be to call a function from a custom DLL.

In ToolBook, linking to a DLL would go more or less like this:
linkDLL32 "shell32.dll"
      LONG ShellExecuteA (Long, String, String, String, String, Long)
end linkDLL32

The second "string" would be "Print", and the third would be the name of the
Help file.

In the WinHelp API, it would look something like this:
WinHelp hwnd, "c:helpfile.hlp", HELP_COMMAND, "Print()"

I haven't found an example or reference to either alternative in the Rev
docs. Has anyone had to tackle this one yet?

TIA,
Tommy Simmons
Employment Law Advisory Network
www.employmentlawadvisors.com