Text files driving me mad

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Jun 13 13:00:00 EDT 2002

on 13/6/02 6:24 pm, Scott Raney at raney at metacard.com wrote:

> This behavior is just a historical accident: we had to be compatible
> with HyperCard, which used "return" for a line delimiter (which is
> standard on the Mac) and with our original platform, UNIX, which uses
> lineFeed as a line delimiter.  In hindsight I would still say that it

Umm... I guess I always thought HyperCard was using "return" for ASCII 13,
but I agree it was actually using it for both purposes. I'd have rather seen
a new constant called something like "linebreak".  But whatever you did
would have screwed something, so fair enough.  But I still wince about
adding a constant called "CR", and making the value be the character with
code 10, instead of 13.

A new constant with value the character with code 13 would still be nice.

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866