Text files driving me mad

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Thu Jun 13 11:15:01 EDT 2002

On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 12:00  PM, Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> Hmm... it shouldn't be quite that bad, should it?  I just create a
> global
> somewhere in my initialisation:
>     global kCR
>     put numtochar(13) into kCR
>
> Then I use kCR everywhere I think I should be able to use CR.  Of course
> it's annoying that I can't create it as a constant; and I have to
> remember
> to declare the global in every script where I reference it... but I
> don't
> end up with a bunch of workarounds, just a bunch of bugs (when I forget
> declare it, or when it didn't get initialised).
>
> Or am I missing something?

No, I think for the most part you are correct, but believe me, it caused
us a lot of grief when we were putting together a serial interpreter,
mostly until we realized where it was going wrong. Then we had to go
back in and fix some lengthy handlers.

I'm told that we should be seeing an actual fix for this in a coming
release.  :)

Cheers.

--
Troy