Newbie project

Tuviah Snyder tuviah at runrev.com
Sat Jun 8 14:21:01 EDT 2002

>I have some concern about the objects available for
>data access in RR. Are there objects that are the
>equivalent of the flexgrid, datagrid and data
>controls that are part of VB? If not, are there
>uncomplicated ways to duplicate their function?
You can use a list field to display data. Anything that you can do with the data controls or the recordset object can be done using the revolution database library. Drag&drop database support is planned.

>If I use my existing Access database, must I use  ODBC?
Yes.

>I have used ADO and DAO with VB in the past.
As I understand it ADO uses ODBC to do it's magic.

>Lastly, will the limitations of the RR trial version
>restrict what I can do to the point of making it
>impractical?
No. Please check out the software database demo which can be found at
http://www.runrev.com/revolution/developers/developerdownloads/usercontributions.html

and look at the VB to Rev comparison by Ken Ray at
http://www.runrev.com/revolution/info/compare/visualbasic/vb-vs-rev/index.html

You may wish to go with Valentina over MS Access. It's a very fast cross platform single user database.

As for the starter kit limits below is a 3 line script for displaying data in a fictional database.

put revdb_connect("accessdn","","","") into dbconn #connect to ms access database using dsn
put revdb_querylist("","",dbconn,"select * from emp where empno = 5") into field "datatable"
#display tab delimited data into field.
get revdb_disconnect(dbconn)
#disconnect from database

The same 3 lines can be used to display data in a Valentina database, only Valentina will work cross platform, and is much faster.

Tuviah

Tuviah Snyder ~ tuviah at runrev.com
http://www.runrev.com/