List manipulations

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Thu Jun 6 20:55:01 EDT 2002

Hi Ron,

The most valuable thing to learn is the use of the "repeat for each"
syntax. This is a screamingly fast way to cycle through your text.

It is also much faster to create a new list rather than altering the old
one, so to add a new item (the same on each line), try something like:
	repeat for each line L in myList
		put item 1to 2 of L & comma & newStuff & comma & item 3 of L &
return after newList
	end repeat

To extract certain columns:
	repeat for each line L in myList
		put item 1 of L & comma & item 3 of L after newList
	end repeat

.Supposing you have a separate list with the items that you need to
insert into your first list, if you need to refer to the sub list by
line number, it is faster if you transform it into an array first:

	split subList with return  -- it is now an array
	put 1 into theCounter     -- to keep track of which element to
insert next

	repeat for each line L in myList
		put item 1to 2 of L & comma & subList[counter] & comma & item
3 of L & cr after newList
		add 1 to counter
	end repeat

This last example looks like it would be easier using a "repeat with
counter = 1 to the number of lines in myList" loop, but it is much
faster to do it this way.

The other main speed tips are:
	1. always operate on variables rather than fields.
	2. too much updating of progress indicators can really slow things
down.

Cheers,
Sarah