Reassurance re: crashing

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Jun 6 12:42:01 EDT 2002

On Thursday, June 6, 2002, at 10:15 AM, Rob Cozens wrote:

> Early on I experienced unstableness in the Revolution platform;
> but once I had crashed enough times, I could determine what
> actions (often blindlessly trying something I had not done before
> to determine the best way to do it) caused crashes and a. change
> my work habits &/or b. learn the correct, ie non-crashing,
> approach.

For me, unfortunately, I don't remember what the good or bad habits
are.  I crash much less now than before, no doubt avoiding certain
things, but I don't know how or why.

Because of this, I think there is value in newbies reporting
details on crashes like this.

(I might be still a newbie, but I think I'm more of a sophomore at
this point; I might sound like I know what I'm doing at times but
create chaos when I speak.)

The bad part of this training through crashing, is that I probably
avoid methods that are now stable (or will soon be) or mistakenly
avoid methods not related to crashes.  It may be that reports of
newbie experiences in these methods might win me back.  The newbie,
not knowing any better, will plunge right in.

I have high hopes for Revolution, including the engine.  Though a
powerful development environment and a powerful programming
language--because of that power--often has ways to effectively say,
"Crash!", I think that--except for those cases--Revolution should
not crash.  Ever.  So I would not characterize "non-crashing"
approaches as "correct" approaches, but simply temporary
workarounds.  This might sound like I "demand perfection", and
maybe so, but only in a positive sense, not a complaining sense; I
have a vacuum that is partially filled by every improvement
(blessing) from runrev and I appreciate what those folks are
doing.  And if they set like high goals for Revolution, they have
my support.

Dar Scott