item delimiter

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed Jun 5 09:28:01 EDT 2002

>  Are you writing something where the
>user can view the item delimiter, or is it hidden in the code?

Derek,

Yes and yes.  :{`)

In general, the field delimiter for Serendipity Database--Binary
(SDB) is specified by the caller, and it is only visible to users who
have direct DB editing or browsing privileges.  Other users can't get
past the the first screen if they open the DB stack directly; so they
can access/change information only through the appropriate front-end
stack, which hides the delimiter from them.

My particular concern is what delimiter to use in the Serendipity
Library Reference database I will be distributing with the
Serendipity Library.  The Reference & its DB serve as a tutorial for
SDB in addition to documenting all handlers in the Library.

Right now I'm leaning toward the pipe ("|").
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company