item delimiter

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Tue Jun 4 15:56:14 EDT 2002

>>What is the "safest" char to use as an item delimiter when you
>>don't know anything about the text?

IMFO, the answer is "none"...because an itemDelimiter is useless in
parsing text unless it is provided to you along with the text to be
parsed, and if you are creating delimited text you obviously know
something about the text to begin with.  :{`)

If you are building a general-purpose list processing handler, let
the caller supply the delimiter.

One issue not mentioned is whether the itemDelimiter will ever be
visible to the user.

In my soon-to-be-released database, it is my preference that a user
with direct editing privileges be able to readily identify the end of
field delimiter; so for years I have used numToChar(240), which
displays as a black apple in the DB's font.

So my quest is not for the "safest" delimiter, but the best VISUAL
delimiter.  Can anyone tell me what numToChar(240) will get me on
Windows & Unix platforms, or suggest a better visual itemDelimiter?
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company