Text files driving me mad

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 4 10:45:01 EDT 2002

I'm still having fits over reading in a text file for processing by
various platforms. There has to be a better way.

If I get URL (http:...text file) each platform brings in a line feed
only text file correctly. I don't have to do anything on Mac, Win,
Linux, or Solaris.

If I get URL (file:...text file) I get various results depending on
which platform as it sees and knows what to do with cr, lf, or crlf. My
file is currently cr delimited which works fine with Macs and Windows
but not with Linux. I put in an option to replace cr with lf but it
doesn't seem to work with Linux. In looking at the Rev docs "return" is
a synonym for "lf" so perhaps that is my problem. I will try it today
with replacing ASCII 13 instead of "return". However, all of this seems
like a hack when the get URL http works all by itself.

Is there a way to have the get URL file command to behave like the get
URL http command or is this a function of the web server doing the right
thing?

Thanks,
Bill Vlahos