Connection baffles

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Mon Jul 22 15:53:00 EDT 2002

on 7/22/02 7:56 AM, Björnke von Gierke at bvg at mac.com wrote:

> Im not quit shure if you have the same problem as I did, but I have a
> Network setting similar to yours (beside that I use Win98 or Win2000 and
> OS X and no cable (WLAN)).
> It is important to understand that Windows does NEVER see other
> computers on a network, unless they use the special protocol of them
> (think of it as "AppleTalk of Microsoft"). Now if you want to connect
> them you have the best chance when using one of these:
----------
Thanks so very much for the Re.

I don't need or want to connect to other computers except my own, on the
LAN, it's just that it is DSL connected to the Internet (T10, 17 lines. I'm
on line #17). There is a Cat 5 Ethernet cable/plug coming out of the wall.

In my Mac G4 Remote Access Control Panel, I choose the "Remote Access" menu
item "TCP/IP" and set it to "Alternate Eternet" and configure to use "DHCP
Server". That's all. The system automatically picks up the server ID, and
Explorer opens onto the Internet, no problem. I reset the default web page,
of course. I just want to do the same on the Compaq PC.

I went through a similar process in Windows XP on the PC, but it says the
cable is unplugged, when it actually is plugged in.

I still don't get it. There is nothing wrong with the cable, as I tested it
on the Mac.

Thanks again, but still baffled.
Ken N.