Connection baffles

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Mon Jul 22 09:59:01 EDT 2002

Im not quit shure if you have the same problem as I did, but I have a
Network setting similar to yours (beside that I use Win98 or Win2000 and
OS X and no cable (WLAN)).
It is important to understand that Windows does NEVER see other
computers on a network, unless they use the special protocol of them
(think of it as "AppleTalk of Microsoft"). Now if you want to connect
them you have the best chance when using one of these:

-Via a FTP application
If you set Windows to share a folder, it is accessible with FTP, same
goes for MacOS (under Mac OS X there is a checkmark for FTP in the
network Pref). You need to know the Machines Name and the Passwort for
FTP to work.
It is possible to use FTP via your Browser, or you may use a FTP
application (there are a lot of them for free to download). In the
Browser type:
"ftp://" & "Name of the machine"
or
"ftp://" & "IP of the other machine"

-Via SMB/Samba:
Unfortunately, I was unable to access my Mac OS X machine via Samba/SMB,
but it worked the other way around:
you can access a shared folder by using the "Connect to Server..." Menu
from the "Go" menu (Command-K). there you have to Type the following:
"smb://" & "Name of the windows machine" & "/" & "Name of the shared
folder or drive"

-Wait for Mac OS X 1.5:
It is said that Mac OS X 1.5 will have an improved Samba interface, but
I didn't see any until now (in screenshots/previews).

Naturally the "'s and &'s should not be typed...

hope this helps

Björnke von Gierke

PS: check also if you don't have an IP conflict, set the same Subnet
Mask, and have the cables correctly plugged in.