Cross-platform text-to-speech

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sat Jul 20 01:24:01 EDT 2002

on 7/16/02 8:24 AM, Josh Dye at Zzyzx at relia.net wrote:

> Hello,
> I have. Easy. Here is the link to the stuff that you will need to
> download to be able to use TTS on Windows 98, and XP. 2k should have it
> built in. Wouldn't hurt it to download this programs as well.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/platformsdk/Redist/2.0/WIN98MeXP/EN-U
> S/msaginst.EXE
>
> That is 17.4 megs, But it includes everything.
----------
I just aquired a Compaq Presario, several years old, with Windows XP Pro.
It's not hooked up online yet.

Before I do that (so I can download), is this the "Sam" voice thing that
just speaks Windows controls, alerts, and dialogs? It also speaks the
letters as you type. If it is, that's all well and good, but we couldn't get
it to speak a field of text, regardless of how it was created, independently
on command, like you can do on a Mac with Hypercard, as in:

speak field  "MainField" with voice "Kathy"

...which is what I need it to do.

Best regards,
Ken N.