Cross-platform text-to-speech

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Mon Jul 15 00:29:01 EDT 2002

Thanks for replying, Rick.

on 7/14/02 9:26 PM, Rick Harrison at harrison at all-auctions.com wrote:
----------
> Do you know in advance what the text is to be spoken?
----------
Some yes, some no. There are about 80 buttons and 21 "planned" fields that
have full voice feed back, plus over 300 common words, maybe 1000 common
idiomatic phrases with full voice feedback, all of which can be edited and
added to (or deleted from) by the users, plus hundreds of special phrases,
and main field user voice simulation (generally a different voice choice
than the feedback voice, because it will simulate speech for a
speech-impaired user). What the user types or places from the phrase/word
lists into the main field and any new or edited words and phrases can't be
known in advance.

I guess I've been spoiled by the Mac's ability to speak. Too bad Windows
doesn't offer similar utilities. The HC version has very few problems
speaking. I've even gotten some very old LC's to speak over the phone using
the Limited Edition HC version. The person on the other end was very
surprised to find that my side of the conversation was generated with
nothing but a mouse.

This is what I'm looking to do with Rev cross-platform, if possible.

Best regards,
Ken N.