Updating Data Substacks

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Jul 12 00:39:01 EDT 2002

Recently, Dan Shafer wrote:

> It just occurred to me that the RR model which requires me to create
> a separate stack to hold the data for my app might be an obstacle to
> product upgrades.
>
> My mainstack is a splasher. My substacks are a palette (which can
> change) and the primary data stack (which will change). If in my next
> rev of the product, I wish to add features (e.g., a menu or even a
> button on that stack with some new functions), I would expect to ask
> my users to replace their current stack with the new one. But that
> will, obviously, result in the loss of all their data.
>
> How should this work? What am I missing?

Two options I can think of:

Good) Keep your data separate from the UI.  This way you can update the UI
independently of the data.

Not So Good) If you really want to keep the UI and data in the same stack,
include an "export data" option or similar in the stack.  When a user wants
to upgrade they hit "export" and then import the exported data into the
upgrade stack.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director