Using XCMDs/XCFNs in Revolution

David Vaughan drvaughan55 at mac.com
Wed Jul 10 06:49:01 EDT 2002

On Wednesday, July 10, 2002, at 08:20 , John Roos wrote:

> I've used HyperCard a lot in the past, and have recently started working
> with Revolution. In my HyperCard stacks, I've used a lot of
> XCMDs/XCFNs, and
> I would like to keep using them.

John

This does not directly answer your question, and how you read it depends
a bit on whether you are developing Rev solely for yourself on a Mac or
have broader possibilities...

Reiterating a conversation on this list from early this year, if you are
new to Rev then I really encourage you to try flying without the XCMDs.
With a bit of digging among the new (HC-superset) features, you will be
amazed at both the capability and speed of Rev. I speak from experience
in that I quite deliberately chose not to rely on XCMDs when moving from
HC to Rev, even though I had some 200 catalogued in my library and had
written more than half of those myself. I have not regretted that bit of
cold turkey but have learned faster in consequence.

You may have a particular need and the XCMDs you have mentioned may be
just perfect so don't let me put you off. However, you did say you were
relatively new to Rev and I have inferred from that that you have some
ground to explore in the language. Try it without the old HC
expectations and I am confident you will enjoy it a lot.

regards
David