Participation in Improvement List

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Sun Jul 7 04:27:01 EDT 2002

At 11:05 PM -0700 7/6/02, Dan Shafer wrote:
>So far, I have no reason to doubt that I will be able to be quite successful with Revolution relying on this list for support. Still, the price tag is steep enough you'd think they'd provide *some* kind of official support! Or lower the price. (I just noticed SuperCard 3.6 is $149, e.g. Please, no flaming comparisons. I never liked SuperCard's bifurcated development environment and convoluted editor, either, and I doubt that it's even yet cross-platform.)

First, it may not be official, but several of the RunRev staff read the lists, and if something goes without a response, generally will jump in.

Second, sorry if this seems like a "flaming response," but casually tossing out SuperCard's price requires some sort of reply.

SuperCard is (IMHO) a great product at a great price. Nevertheless, Revolution has advantages that (again, IMHO) more than cover a $299 vs. $149 difference in price. Among them are:

  -- Platform support: SuperCard is beta testing OS X support, Revolution supports OS X, Windows, Linux, BSD, and several other Unixen
  -- Database access
  -- Multiple groups/backgrounds on a card
  -- URL access
  -- Speed, speed, and speed
  -- Perl-compatible regular expressions
  -- Repeat for each (did I mention speed?)
  -- Associative arrays
  -- XML
  -- Many more commands and functions
  -- etc.